February 28, 2000
New program helps with employment searches for spouses, partners
By Karin Wanless
In an effort to better serve ladder-rank faculty and senior management, UCSC has
established the Dual Career Service program as a career support service for the spouses
and partners of candidates and appointees for these positions.
Because seeking, accepting, and maintaining employment at UCSC often hinges on the
feasibility of a second career, the service program will provide assistance and support
during the employment searches of the spouse or partner. However, the program is
not for job placement and does not guarantee employment for clients.
"Employment searches can be challenging to face alone," said Nancy Aebersold,
coordinator of Dual Career Service. "I see my role as a supporter of eligible
spouses and partners who have career needs. The Dual Career Service is a source of
career ideas, resources, opportunities, tools, and creativity--a place to get help
from someone who cares."
Program services include:
- Confidential career assessment and counseling;
- Information about employment opportunities at UCSC and Bay Area educational institutions;
- Networking opportunities with Bay Area employers;
- Forwarding resumes to potential employers;
- Brokering creative strategies for developing employment solutions;
- Assistance navigating through Web resources;
- Providing referrals to career partners--such as the Career Action Center in Cupertino--where
clients can access additional job-search resources.
The eligible population for this program are spouses and partners of full-time
university appointees who are members of the Academic Senate or who hold equivalent
academic titles, members of the Senior Management Group, and acting assistant professors.
Services are offered to spouses or partners during recruitment, at the time a new
appointment is made, when retention is an issue for the UCSC employee and the spouse
or partner's career needs are a consideration, and under special circumstances and
with the approval of an administrator.
For additional information, contact Nancy Aebersold in Academic Human Resources at
ext. 9-3891 or email@example.com.
Return to Front Page